ESTA versus VISA

ESTA versus VISA: Which One Do You Need?

Many of you are probably still confused about the difference between an ESTA and a Visa. Which one should you get? Is esta usa better than a visa when entering the U.S.A? This article will help you answer all the questions and tell you which of the two you need and when to use them.

What is ESTA?

ESTA stands for Electronic System for Travel Authorization. The Visa Waiver Program came up with the idea that countries who are members of the VWP (38 in all) will be granted apparent pre-requirements for business and tourist travelers. However, in 2006, under the Bush administration, citizens of the 38  countries were allowed to apply for ESTA to fulfill short term travels such as business or tourism visits. ESTA provides entry to the U.S through online applications only, making it easy and convenient.

Once granted, ESTA holders are allowed a two-year timeline to travel the United States, with each stay not going beyond 90 days. As long as your passport is not expired, your ESTA is still working. If ever it does get expired, online renewal is possible.

When You Should Get ESTA

For its convenience and simplicity, ESTA is your best bet for tourist visits, business trips, or when you will use the States as a stopover point in transit to another country. All these only require a small number of days, which does not pose the need to apply for a visa.

What Is A Visa?

A Visa is a legal document that requires you to visit the American embassy and undergo several interviews. A visa, tourist or business, may be allowed one up to six months or even up to ten years depending on your situation. Since a visa allows more years of staying in the United States, it is understandable that it takes a longer time for approval and complicated tasks compared to the ESTA. If you’re planning on doing the following, then a visa is more appropriate for you. When your visa gets expired, you’re required to go through the same process as before– going to interviews at the embassy.

When You Should Get A Visa

A visa will be the best option if you intend to marry in the U.S., to study, or to work for an extended period. A permit has its own set of benefits for aspiring longtime residents.

When you finally decide whether you need a visa or esta usa, make sure you make the most of your trip and enjoy every part of it.